Sunday, October 13, 2013

January's Candles

In an effort to get myself caught up on the posting of what I've been burning, I've decided to group the candles I've burned into months they were burned in.  Some may travel over into the adjoining month, depending on when I started burning them.

Without, further ado, here are (the rest of) the candles that met their demise in January of 2013!

First up was a pretty candle that was reminiscent (to me) of the seaside.  It had little shells embedded around the bottom of the candle.  Notice that there were rings of various colors throughout the candle, as pictured in the shot from above.


Up next was a pretty, metallic present candle.  Initially, I thought the entire candle was made of wax...


That is until I started seeing a nail, like the kind you hammer into a wall, emerge from beneath the golden wax bow...  Look closely, you'll see it emerging...






There were four, yes FOUR, of those nails in the candle.  Why?  Because they were holding down the golden ribbon that made up the bow.  That, and the nails, weren't made of wax.  Strange...

Up next was a golden angel candle.  It was so pretty before I set it on fire.  :)


The problem with this candle, which I was about to find out, was that whatever the gold that covered the candle was made of was also HIGHLY flammable.  Once the flame on the wick met up with the golden overlay it all went downhill, literally.  The gold started making crackling sounds and kinda sparking.  When it really got going, the underlying wax was no match.  It started melting and exposing more of the overlay which could catch fire and spread even quicker.  It was a hot mess, literally.  In the end, the angel became a smoldering, liquid-y mass.  It all went down pretty quickly.

After the angel came a cute, sparkly snowman.


Mr. Snowman was covered from top to bottom in something akin to sparkly plastic beads, you can see them better here:

He wasn't very heavy or big so he melted down rather quickly.


I guess after the snowman and the present candles and the angel candle that reminded me of Christmas just past, I was ready for a reminder of the season to come - spring.  I'm not really a fan of wintertime.  

I decided on a cute bunch of Calla Lillies banded together with some raffeta.


 Along with the seaside candle (mentioned above), the pretty lillies didn't fare well under the brutal heat of the lit wick...


So I tried some Tulips instead...


Then a nice bottle of wine, or rum, or who knows what...


And finally, a pretty white pillar candle embedded with white jewels.


As the final January candle melted down I collected those jewels for future use - I'm a recycler, what can I say...

No comments:

Post a Comment